Governance refers to the structures, systems and processes concerned with ensuring an organisation’s overall direction, effectiveness, supervision (control) and accountability.
Having systems in place for both business and family governance are some of the best ways to ensure the sustainable management and long term success of your family business. This is because formal governance structures assist open communication between family members, reduce internal conflicts, nurture the next generation of leaders, and develop a shared family vision for the future.
In addition, as a member of a family business with a material impact on the direction and strategy of the business, it is important you know your role and meet your legal responsibilities, as you may be as liable as any director on the board.
The Family Business Directors Course is a two day session that establishes the value that a board brings to the business. It will also go over your duties, responsibilities and how to structure a board that is appropriate for the needs of your family business. This course is supported by the use of a case study to drive home the topics covered.
- Business governance, the role of the board and how to balance the interests of owners and managers
- An overview of the legal framework in which businesses operate and the legal duties and responsibilities of directors and officers
- The financial and accounting aspects of business governance, and how to measure profitability, liquidity and financial stability
- The role of the board as a whole, and the individual roles of the chairperson, directors and CEO
- An overview of good practice for a board
- Family governance; the structures, roles and processes that help family businesses thrive over generations
- How to integrate family and business governance to best effect
- Understand the role a board can play in growing your business
- Understand the unique challenges family business directors face
- Define the core areas of legal responsibilities for directors
- Consider the options for structuring a board of directors to suit your family business
Who should attend
- All members involved in strategically guiding the family business
- Executive and non-executive directors of family businesses
- CEOs and senior managers of family businesses
- Family business shareholders
Registration fees GST incl.
|FBA Member Early Bird||FBA Member||Non Member|
Early bird rates closing on Monday 26 March, 2018